Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Meatloaf double beatloaf I hate meatloaf

Seriously up until last night I hated meatloaf. While I was shopping at the grocery store the other day I got a wild spur and decided I should attempt a meatloaf for the first time in my life. Dan was shocked when I came home and said we would be having meatloaf sometime this week. Last night I decided was good night to attempt this meaty concoction. I read a recipe from Marthastewart.com to get some ideas and talked to Linz (my sis in-law) who mention that substituting breadcrumbs with cheez-it's is a great option. Well I made the recipe on my terms and eyeballed everything. It came out perfect, moist and oh sooo delicious! Dan looooved it and said it was the best meatloaf he had ever had. Go me!

Here is what I did...

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Dice 1/4c of a sweet onion (more or less depending on taste)
1/4c organic ketchup
1 large organic egg
1/4c - 1/3c organic milk
1T garlic powder (more or less depending on taste or mince garlic cloves)
2 pounds organic ground meat
1 1/2c finely crushed tabasco cheez-it's (msg free, I checked)

Mix onion, egg, milk, ketchup and garlic powder in a large mixing. Add meat and cheez-it's to mixture, then blend by hand. Be sure not to over work the meat. Once meat and mixture are blended place on a pan with parchment paper (easy clean-up), and mold meat into a loaf shape. Be sure not to have it too think in center, otherwise cooking may take longer with burnt ends. Brush a light layer of ketchup over meatloaf and place in oven for 45-50 minutes. Brush the meatloaf with ketchup one more time about half way through the cooking process. Once meatloaf is cooked, remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes so juices can redistribute. Enjoy!

No comments: